After getting enthusiastic about machine patching yesterday, I’ve spent this afternoon finishing off some EPP blocks. These are from a set of 9 12″ blocks which will either make a lap quilt, or have extras added to make it a bigger quilt.
Despite feeling desperately behind on the things I think I should be doing, I am, at least getting a few things done.
On a slightly different tack, a couple of hours spent on the results of the FTAnalyzer have been very fruitful. Most of the folk who showed up ‘buried before death’ weren’t errors as such, it was just that the death listed the quarter in which they died. All tidied up now, so I’ll move onto corrections in another area tonight…
Back in the days when I could see well enough to attempt (and finish) fairly fine cross stitch pieces, I came across, and often used a rotation system. The idea was that when a stitcher had several different pieces on the go at once, working in a rotation would facilitate each of the pieces being completed, and not destined to become UFOs (UnFinished Objects.)
I seem to recall that I first found the ten hour rotation system on a site called Shakespeare’s Pedlar, but a search this week has failed to retrieve the original post. Basically it involved working on one piece for 10 hours before putting it away and moving onto the next for the following 10 hours of stitching. Provided the stitcher didn’t start any new pieces, real progress could be seen on each piece, and gradually the pieces would be completed.
This week I decided it was going to be a good idea to adapt the system for my patchwork. At the moment I have four pieces started, and each time I work on one, I want to just keep going. Whilst I’m not following the 10 hours guideline, I am making myself stop when I get a unit finished on each piece. The end result for this week is that I have measurable progress on three of the four pieces, and the fourth one to work on this evening.
Long may it last!
I finally got chance to finish off the first of the blues ‘rosettes’ yesterday. Many more to go, but you have to start somewhere.
This afternoon I pieced together the Martha Washington block for the sampler quilt. A productive couple of days 🙂
Finally got around to starting the Dutchman’s Puzzle quilt. I took the makings of the first block to craft group on Monday, and now have one of the35 blocks I will need. The colours don’t show up very well, hopefully the next progress picture will rectify that. biggest lesson learned this week – using the size 10 milliners needles and Bottom line thread that were recommended to me makes the stitching so much better, but the needles are difficult to thread in electric light. I fixed that by pre-threading a bunch of needles in the daytime, so I have enough to keep me going through the evening 🙂
I picked up a bargain this morning, too. Popped into town for a special birthday and, and whilst I was in the shop spied these three little lovelies – just 4.5″, 5.5″ & 6.5″ Ideal for dressing and keeping in my bag for emergencies, and only £1.50 for the three!
Having fully intended (and trying!) to get my craft projects organised at the end of 2018 for a good start on 1 January, I find that a week into 2019 I’m still sorting out. The quilt log sheets that I downloaded last week made me realise that I have two ongoing projects that need updating, and some progress made, so yesterday I took pictures of the progress to date on those, as well as one of the first stitching on the blues hexie quilt that is anew start. The first is a charm quilt, which will eventually have 999 pieces, but is currently being formed up in blocks of 32 – 1.5″x3″ rectangles in pairs, each placed next to a pair on a different axis.
The second is a sampler quilt comprising various 12″ blocks in different colour ways – great for using up scraps!
Craft group/knit & natter restarted on Monday for the new year, and I took the first hexes for my shades of blue quilt. A small start, but a start, nonetheless. The darker one on the bottom row looks skew, but it isn’t just a bit bent up on the picture!